Villa Custom Homes specializes in building rammed earth homes. These structures will stand the test of time, as their strength and durability are unmatched. Think of it as a kind of ‘instant rock’ as is simulates the natural process of creating sedimentary rock and is done with special techniques that achieve optimum strength and hardness. Rammed earth homes are constructed with a mixture of soil (3%) Portland cement and a 6-10% moisture content.
Why Choose Rammed Earth?
There are a variety of reasons why people choose to build with this natural material. Its special qualities make it a sought after building material in the Southwest and throughout the country. Those same unique characteristics make it a practical and effective choice for hot and dry climates, resistant to pests and corrosion, and durable against fires. Some of the main benefits of the building materials include:
- Energy Efficient and Environmentally Friendly: Talk about green construction techniques! Rammed earth walls create an energy efficient home that keeps the cool air in and the hot air out. Because of its thick walls, the material is a great insulator. It is non-toxic and non-polluting. It is also environmentally-friendly because it creates minimal construction waste during the building.
- Thermal Mass: The thickness of the walls and the density of the material make it highly effective against extreme climates. This means that heat or cold will be slow to penetrate and the internal temperature will remain consistent.
- Noise Reduction: Similarly, the thickness of the walls also aid in blocking out unwanted noise from the outside. This means that your home will have a much more private ambiance, without the noise of traffic or other outside stimuli.
- Strong and Timeless: History and careful study have both proved that this material is not only incredibly strong but will last a lifetime. There is no need to worry about premature wear and tear or deterioration.
- Fire Proof and Pest Resistant: With rammed earth, you don’t have to worry about your home going down in flames in case of a fire. The material is highly flame resistant and will withstand extreme temperatures before it sees any damage.
- Low Maintenance: Rammed earth walls are low maintenance and require very little repair over a long period of time. Once built and properly sealed, the walls will have a long life ahead of them and require little attention.
As specialists in building with this material, Villa Custom Homes implements unique designs along with your custom built home. For more than 20 years, we have been constructing beautiful and functional homes for people of the New Mexico area. We take our inspiration from the cultural and architectural influences of the region and make your dream home come true.
Build Beauty That Lasts with Villa Custom Homes
Interested in rammed earth? Call us today at 575-650-7377 and we’ll give you the information you need to get started.